Arsenal 5 West Ham 1
The Arse win! Not just win, but win convincingly despite going a goal down to West Ham, who looked dangerous early on. There were several good points about this match, and I’m not sure which was the best, so let’s have a top 10 good things in no particular order:
- Fat Sam Allardyce loses; always nice when the anti-football messiah gets his comeuppance
- David Sullivan was pictured in the crowd wearing a silly hat and looking miserable – ha!
- Arsenal shared the goals around the forwards almost equally, leading to more confidence and happiness all round
- There were sweeping moves flowing from one end of the pitch to the other, reminiscent of The Invincibles, and we did not fart about playing sideways passes for ten minutes then lose possession before shooting
- Some of the flowing attacks led to fairly spectacular goals!
- Some crosses got past the first man and even found an Arsenal player!
- Santi found his shooting boots and was getting shots on target
- Several players were prepared to shoot from outside the box
- Defensively we looked far more organised than in recent matches
- The team spirit was far more evident than we’ve seen for a while
- The captaincy didn’t immediately paralyse Jack and prevent him playing his natural game
There were a couple of bad points too, but I won’t dwell on them except to say I hope this doesn’t convince Arsene not to go on the spending spree that he is probably, almost certainly, gearing up for right now.
What we need now is consistency. We need to put a run together. We’ve hung on to the coat tails of Everton and the Spuds; we need to be in a position to take advantage when they inevitably falter. But first, a little trip to the coast on Saturday to see off Brighton. Come on!
I did say in the last post that I’d give measurements of some of my body parts (not that!) if we won against West Ham. I’ve added them here if you’re interested. (If you didn’t read the last post, that is going to look like an odd couple of sentences, I admit.)
Follow me on twitter: @AngryOfN5